VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES HIGHLIGHTS
Sept. 7, 2003 (Chicagoland)
Sept. 3, 2010 (Kentucky)
Oct. 2, 2011 (Kentucky)
• Competed in six oval races for Ed Carpenter Racing.
• Won at Texas Motor Speedway and recorded two other top-five finishes.
• Earned pole for Indianapolis 500 for second consecutive year.
• Led four races for total of 122 laps.
• Finished 16th in IndyCar Series standings for Ed Carpenter Racing.
• Recorded three top-five and five top-10 finishes, with best of second (Auto Club Speedway).
• Earned pole for Indianapolis 500.
• Led three races for total of 56 laps.
• Finished 18th in IndyCar Series standings for Ed Carpenter Racing.
• Won season finale (Auto Club Speedway) for the second consecutive year.
• Recorded two other top-10 finishes.
• Was running at the finish in 14 of the 15 races.
• Earned first IndyCar Series victory (Kentucky Speedway), driving for Sarah Fisher Racing.
• Competed in 10 races.
• Had a best starting position of fourth, also at Kentucky, and started eighth in the Indianapolis 500.
• Competed in four events for Panther Racing/Vision Racing.
• Earned first career pole at Kentucky and tied career-best finish of second.
• Started career-high seventh at Indianapolis.
• Finished 12th in IndyCar Series standings for Vision Racing.
• Recorded one top-five and six top-10 finishes.
• Led 34 laps en route to career-best IZOD IndyCar Series finish of second at Kentucky.
• Tied career-best start of fourth at Homestead.
• Finished 15th in IndyCar Series standings for Vision Racing.
• Recorded top-five finishes at Homestead and Indianapolis and had seven top-10 finishes.
• Finished 15th in IndyCar Series standings for Vision Racing with best finish of sixth at Homestead and Iowa.
• Finished 14th in IndyCar Series standings for Vision Racing with best finish of fifth at Chicagoland, his first career top five.
• Recorded six top-10 finishes, including best-ever road course finish of sixth at Watkins Glen.
• Finished 18th in IndyCar Series standings for Vision Racing with a best finish of 10th at Nashville.
• Finished 16th in IndyCar Series standings for Red Bull Cheever Racing with a best finish of eighth at Kentucky.
• Finished second in Bombardier Rookie of the Year standings.
• Made IndyCar Series debut at Chicagoland with PDM Racing, starting 16th and finishing 13th.
• Started two other events, finishing 13th at California and 21st at Texas2.
• Made history at Chicagoland when he became the first driver to compete in an Indy Lights Series event and an IndyCar Series event on the same weekend.
ROAD TO THE VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES
• Finished third in Menards Infiniti Pro Series point standings on the strength of one win and seven other top-five finishes.
• Won inaugural Freedom 100 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the first automobile race conducted in May in conjunction with the Indianapolis 500.
• Finished third in Menards Infiniti Pro Series point standings with six top-five finishes in seven races. Earned best result of second at Kentucky.
• Completed the most laps (454 of a possible 455)
and was the only competitor running at the finish of every event.
• Competed in the USAC Sprint Car Series, earning first victory in season finale at Salem, Ind.
• Finished ninth overall in the USAC Silver Crown Series, earning six top-10 finishes. Best result was sixth at Indianapolis Raceway Park in May.
• Tested IndyCar Series car at Atlanta Motor Speedway for Panther Racing.
• Competed in the USAC Silver Crown Series, earning five top-10 finishes with best result of sixth at DuQuoin. Named Rookie of the Race at Phoenix and Nazareth.
• Claimed the pole for the Hulman-Hoosier Hundred at Indiana State Fairgrounds and led for 80 laps before retiring.
• Finished ninth overall in USAC National Midget Car Series, earning four top-five finishes and a best result of second at the Belleville Nationals in Belleville, Kan.
• Finished 13th in USAC National Midget Car Series as a rookie.
• Earned first career feature victory at Louisville (Ky.) Motor Speedway in only his fourth start.
• Made midget debut at 16th Street Speedway (Ind.) in USAC Regional Series.
• Raced in quarter-midget and three-quarter midget competition at the club, regional and nation levels. Won national quarter-midget championship events at Xenia, Ohio, and Hagerstown, Md.